From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Bill Kinney
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2021 6:23 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] 5 piece stuffing box

Also with the dual caveats that this might be confusing, and that this is a report of success, NOT advice...

Like many Amel owners, when it was finally time to repack our rudder I was very frustrated with the fit of the standard packing.  No matter how hard I worked it, with all the tricks that have been discussed here--and a few more--I could not get the packing compressed enough to get enough threads on the plastic nut engaged to properly torque it down.  Applying all the torque I could without stripping threads wasn't enough: It leaked in a seaway.

With another passage coming up quickly, and fresh out of ideas and time, I was getting desperate, and desperate times call for desperate measures. Figuring that doing nothing wasn't an option, I tried the last thing I could think of:  I ripped out the top piece of packing, and tightened the nut down hard on the remaining two.  Success!  No leaks--not a drop--even in some pretty rough sailing.  Two well fit, tightly compressed rings of packing did a much better job of keeping the ocean on the outside of the boat than three lightly compressed rings.

I am not at all sure this is a satisfactory long term solution, but it got us where we needed to go and kept us dry. I have ONE more trick up my sleeve that I want to try on this.  I'll report back here if it works...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, Florida, USA