Re: Mastervolt Alpha High-Output Alternator Temperature when charging LiFePO4

Arno Luijten

Hi Dean,

You are right, we do have a different alternator. But this makes me wonder even more as the compact alternators have much more airgaps to let the heat out then the high output ones. The fans on these alternators are mounted internally.
I guess the build of the high output ones is more heat resistant. What I don't like about this is that most high-current devices use temperature sensors (shore chargers, solar chargers, etc). What if the airflow gets restricted (for example engine room ventilation breaks down) or a bearing runs hot?
For me it was easy as I did no have to buy any additional things to achieve temperature control on the alternator. But I still find it strange that Mastervolt claims you don't need it. In luxury cars nowadays the alternator is even water-cooled and I'm pretty sure those have less work to do then a lithium charging alternator.

But you could just stick a Amazon remote thermometer on the alternator to see what it's doing and build confidence that way.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121