Re: A54 watermaker/Fresh water pump issue

Alexander Hofmann

Hi Chris,

difficult to have a clear diagnosis from remote, the system is complex. I tell you 2 experiences with the rinsing of the Watermaker (I have a 160 l/h Duo 230V / 24V) – and a similar topic.

  1. I had an non-stopping rinse of the watermaker 2 years ago half way from Canaries to Azores, leading to … zero litres of water in the fresh water tank. Not funny. I could resolve the problem in phone contact with Fréderic Quintard from Nautic Elec, the experienced electrician in La Rochelle. The magnetic valve for opening and closing the fresh water provisioning for the watermaker rinse process has been dirty and did not word, means stayed OPEN for an endless rinsing, until the fresh water tank was fully empty. Hopefully I have had already installed a simple hand valve in the fresh water provisioning tube before the watermaker. So I could close that, run the watermaker again, and had new fresh water. Later on I did replace the magnetic valve and cleaned the old one in an ultrasonic bath, is like new now. There is limescale deposit – and any dirt out of the freshwater system - in the valve. This may cause your problems you have described in opening and closing partly and in a not reliable and understandable way or – as in my case – stays open completely.

This is why

  • I have an extra magnetic valve on board,
  • I would recommend to any Amel owner to install such a simple hand valve in the fresh water provisioning tube before the watermaker.
  • Additionally I have a cheap ultrasonic cleaner bath now onboard, many parts can be cleaned and re-set into function.
  • When I am longer time off any marina (what I love!) and I use the watermaker daily I close this hand valve and refrain from any rinsing. I do that any 1 – 2 weeks once, or until the watermaker tells you he wants rinsing care because the pressure for switching from ‘bad’ to ‘good’ rises. Dessalator even advices to do so. Rinsing every time is definitely not needed! Dessalator watermakers love to work daily!

  1. The same problem with a dirty magnetic valve happened to me with the toilets heads. The valve did not close and the fresh water was flooding the toilet and the heads – in emptying the fresh water tank rapidly.

This is why

  • I would recommend to any Amel owner to install also a simple hand valve in the fresh water provisioning tube for the toilets in the heads.

Costs ( as my French friends say) three times nothing but prevent unpleasant situations.

All the best. Fairs seas and lovely tail winds!

Alexander

SY Oceanica I, Amel54#156