Re: Draining Fuel tank

Eric Freedman

Pat ,

I use a reverse oil change pump.

Or you could put a bucket in the bilge, remove the fittings at the bottom of the tank and add a piece of hose.

On Kimberlite I needed to use a very thin wrench to disassemble the valve on the tank. It is called a tappet wrench.

Fair Winds


Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376



From: On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2021 9:21 AM
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Draining Fuel tank


I only have about 30 gallons of fuel in my tank and I want to drain it. My boat is on the hard ,so I placed a five foot length of 1/2" cpvc tube into the tank and attached a 25' length of 1/2"OD plastic hose , I drop that over the side hoping I could siphon the fuel out. I attached the hose to a shop vac , sealing the connection with tape and yet it did not produce enough suction to pull the fuel up out of the tank by more than two feet ,about to the height of the cockpit seat. I was surprised by that ,it is a big vac ,with a lot of suction. Does anyone have a suggestion on how or what to use to suck the fuel up and out of the tank.
SM Shenanigans

Join to automatically receive all group messages.