Re: Isolation of hull inside Amel54 or AmelSM - and hatches etc.

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Hi Alexander,

We spent three seasons in Chile, including two based in the Beagle channel. We didn't find problems with the cold or condensation. What proved useful were:

1. The curtain in the cockpit
  2. A good pair of warm slippers
  3. Hot water bottles for your bed  ( the whole of our aft cabin is a large bed which Amel built for us when the boat was new ). Good duvets.
  4. Heating--we have an Eberspacher ( wonderful), reverse aircon ( no great heat but very useful for ventilating the boat ) plus two domestic fan heaters, 2 and 3 kw. With all three systems  going you have 10,000 Btu----too much after about 10 minutes, but great for instant warmth
  5. We did add bubblewrap to the inside of the hatch in the main saloon
  Beyond that, wrap up warm !

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada, Greece

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Alexander Hofmann <DACJ@...>
Sent: 04 May 2021 09:15
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Isolation of hull inside Amel54 or AmelSM - and hatches etc.

Dear all,
I am planning to sail higher lattitudes in summer times in the coming years in Europe (Norway / Baltic) and globally later on (NZ South / Patagonia / Alaska / New Foundland etc.) where water temperatures even in summer can be really low, producing a really chilly atmosphere inside - and condensation. This is relevant especially for the aft cabin, which has the most direct contact to sea and air outside, and is not really protected through lockers etc. - Might be very helpful in mid and front ship also. 
The only strategy making sense to me is isolationg with a kind of high performance material on the inside of the hull in lockers below, sidewards in lockers and wardrobes also on the hull, under the inside cover. 
Does anybody has made that already or has any relevant experience with it? Which isolation materials ca be recommended? 
Any experience with measures to avoid condensation on hatches (doubling, protection)? 
I am very thankful for any comment and hint!
Alexander,
SY Oceanica I, Amel54#156

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.