Super Maramu length of the Long Pole

Kent,

Yesterday I was told that Amel shortened the long pole with the SM 2000. I have noticed how the long poles are stored on deck with earlier model SMs versus later models. The earlier models overhang the toe-rail at the bow. I have always thought this to be simply a different storage method. When you get a chance, please measure the length of the aluminum tube on the long tubes. Next week I am going to be on a later model SM and will measure those.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 7:59 AM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
A few years ago I was sailing N in the Gulf Stream in 20kts from astern.  In the middle of the night with no warning (it was a moonless night with no lightning observed) we were suddenly in 35+ kts from 40d off the starboard stern.  The seas rapidly grew from 5-6 ft to 8-10 ft.  I turned directly downwind and furled the headsails together to about 10%.  But before I could muster the crew and get the poles down, we rolled and caught the tip of the port pole in the water.  It shattered the forward guy block, and the pole came whipping back alongside the dodger. No damage there, but potentially an even worse problem than we had.

The problem was a thunder storm that must have formed right over us, or just didn't have any lightning.  That was before I got my new Radar, and I didn't use it at night unless I saw a specific need.

So now I take the poles down at night, and run the radar at night.  In any choppy seas over 4-5 ft, I raise the end of the poles a couple of feet above horizontal.

Kent
SM 243 Kristy
Preparing to sail to Maine in early June

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY