Re: watertight doors

David Wallace

Friends of ours told us the story of hitting a rock in Maine waters while sailing their Maramu at six knots. The result was an approximately 1’ hole in the forward hull. They immediately closed the forward door and valves and easily motored to a boatyard where the boat was subsequently lifted and the hole repaired. They said the boat longitudinal axis stayed level and the water in the v-berth was only up to the top of the bunks.

Dave Wallace
former owner sv Air Ops
Maramu 104

On May 8, 2021, at 5:24 AM, Craig Briggs via groups.io <sangaris@...> wrote:

Assuming the forward compartment is flooded it follows that water pressure will aid in sealing the door such that the crossbar would be redundant (other than to seal its own bolt hole). Dogging it so tight as to deform the door and cause gaps at the top seems unnecessary - a gentle snug should do.  That being said, my door has a perpendicular stiffening piece of wood and the entire door engages the seal evenly when closed and dogged (haven't tried to dog it with great force).

My aft door only seals at the bottom and sides; the top is open and there is no crossbar. If the aft compartment is flooded water pressure would keep the door sealed.

if the main salon is flooded, you likely have problems of a "Titanic" nature.

--Craig
SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL