Re: Super Maramu length of the Long Pole

Bill Kinney

I suspect (but can not prove!) the reason of the change (we have the long poles) was simply to allow the securing the forward end of the pole to the pin on the stanchion without reworking the whole lifeline system.  With the long poles the forward end of the pole is captured in the liferail and while it can not escape, it certainly CAN bounce up and down.  We had some fiberglass crazing from this.  We added pads of Treadmaster to cushion the rail where the pole rests.

What I found interesting, is after shortening the poles by a half meter, there was no change in the size of the genoa or balloner.  Having sailed with both, I can't say I notice a difference.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood FL