Re: Steering wheel removal

Eric,

More than you wanted to know:

There are two threaded holes 8mm on either side of the axis. Use the AutoProp Puller and modify it by drilling two 9mm holes spaced 48mm - 63mm apart (it varies). Two 8mm screws are inserted into the new holes of the extractor and screwed into the holes of the wheel. By screwing in the center bolt of the AutoProp Puller, the steering wheel can be removed.

Note from Steve S/V ALOHA: The older SMs do not have the 2 holes on the wheel for a puller. A technique that works is to have one person sit in the helm seat and pull hard on the wheel with both hands while the other taps on the shaft with a weighted mallet. Make sure to protect the threads on the shaft with the nut. This was recommended by Olivier, and it worked after a few whacks.

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 4:02 PM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

What size are the holes in the prop puller?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz