Re: Rudder moving when anchored - Hy-Drive steering

Michael Brusch

Thanks Bill, you answered my question. I have a hydraulic leak and this explains the rudder moving.

On Sun, May 16, 2021, 9:42 PM Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
Michael,

With hydraulic steering, there is usually no way to stop the problem you are experiencing.  Since there is not a "solid" connection from rudder to wheel, even the tiniest amount of leakage of hydraulic fluid slowly resets the relationship between the wheel and the rudder.

In short, with hydraulic steering there is no way to ensure the rudder and wheel stay in a fixed relationship.

You might be able to lock it in place with something using the emergency tiller connection, but this is a bit inconvenient (at best) and a bit of a kludge.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Hollywood, FL