Re: Amel 54, For those who do not really like the entrance hatch locking system

Sv Garulfo

I would venture to think the idea was to be able to have intermediate positions. Not that we have made use of it much, but maybe one day...

One handed operation sounds great, though

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Huahine, FrenchPolynesia

On 19 May 2021, at 16:02, Dean Gillies <stella@...> wrote:

Hi Arno,
I know what you mean!   Anyone who needs to enter my boat without me present is always amused by the plethora of instructions I give them about entering.  Contractors look at you askance .. "do you think I don't know how to enter a boat?" lol

Personally, the only thing I don't like about the Amel system is that the door can free-fall all the way.  It would have been great to have some kind of piston in the design which supported the weight of the door, and either lowered it in a controlled way, or required a little downward pressure to open. As if our boats are not complex enough, right!

I think most people looking at your mechanism for the first time would find it obvious to operate, and probably not let the door drop.

Cheers
Dean
SV Stella A54-154