Re: Holding tank riser

Darren Moore

Hi Tom and others on this forum,

Kaz and I are newby owners of our Super Maramu #171 and this is our first post to this amazing forum

I found a similar issue with our holding tanks this morning, it looks like there was a solid pipe through the bottom of the tank which then had a 35-40mm flexible pipe connected to it on the inside of the tank which went up to the top of the tanks and then curved over to point back down.

In both tanks the pipes have broken off on the inside of the tank, I'm thinking of replacing the pipe going through the bottom of the tank with a solid bronze pipe going up to near the top of the tank as in the modification suggested in this PDF

I like the idea of going into the side of the tank at the side as well, but do find going in the bottom neater.

I'd like to get the old flexible pipe out of the tanks as well, not sure if this is possible without cutting an inspection hole in the tank.

I'd be interested to hear about how you go about your modification.

Kind Regards

Darren and Karen
SV Tradewinds III
SM 171
Australia

On Thu, 20 May 2021 at 10:02, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:
My aft head holding tank riser has separated from the lower part of the copper fitting. So inflow to the holding tank enters at the bottom of the tank. Despite this, there is no leaking from the fitting.

I've read the various posts on fixes; replacing the fitting, mounting a smaller diameter pipe inside what remains of the original, etc.

One goal of the project would be to make it easier to maintain. If the idea is to have the black water enter at the top of the tank, I'm wondering if anyone has moved the inlet from the bottom of the tank to the upper side. This would have the benefit of allowing the hose to run outside of the tank and turn left, dramatically simplifying clearing clogs.

Anyway, I want to consider all possibilities before I open this can of worms.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422
Tahiti