Re: solar panel

Scott SV Tengah

Just curious for those of you getting more than rated output, how long does that over-rated output persist?

I have 960W of rear arch mounted LG Neon2 panels and I've seen it spike to slightly above that, but my Victron MPPT is limited to 35 amps output so charging output is usually cut off by the MPPT output limitation.

Most of the time I am sitting around 860-920 watts max output at solar noon. I believe my spikes above rated output occur around solar noon on partly cloudy days when the sun has been behind a cloud, the solar panels cool down and then get hit by strong solar insolation. At that moment, I get the output spike, but once the panels heat up again, the output drops.

Remember, solar output is highly dependent on panel temperature. That's why deck/bimini mounted panels perform so much worse than arch mounted ones. Well that and the shading issue.

If I'm wrong, the power output curve should remain above rated output for an extended period of time. If I'm losing out on amp-hours because of my "undersized" MPPT, I want to know!

--
ScottĀ
2007 A54 #69