Re: House Bank vs. Engine Start

Mark Garver

Bill and Bill,

I completely agree. I already discovered the bonding straps that had been cut and have the new copper to run down to the bilge and will have to run new bonding wires because they were cut short.

I’m currently for the summer in the lower Chesapeake Bay, Gloucester Point. Don’t know of any electricians here that are familiar with Amel’s. I may need to check either Delta illegal or Annapolis.

Do you know of any around the Chesapeake?

I have already been ripping out all of the left over wiring from the nav equipment replacement... he went with Ray Marine, instead of B&G which I wasn’t impressed with.

Thanks everyone, now to get the electrician!

Best,

Mark Garver
S/V It’s Good
SM #105

On May 21, 2021, at 4:40 PM, Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:

Mark,

Echoing Bill Rouse's comments...

In an Amel with standard wiring, the connection of shore power would have nothing what ever to do with the engine starting--or not.  Also, in a boat with Amel standard wiring, the state of the 24 Volt system is not at all connected with the ability of the engine to start, or to run.

Based on your description of the symptoms you observe, it would seem your wring has been changed in significant ways.  Without knowing HOW your system has been changed, it is virtually impossible to offer specific advice.

I think you are probably right to be concerned that things are not as they should be, but without knowing how your batteries and engine are wired I am not sure how we can help remotely.

Are you located in a place you can get in contact with a marine electrician who is familiar with Amel systems?

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, FL