Re: Simpson Davits Maintenance

Sv Garulfo

Hi,

I changed my lines for 4mm dyneema, no cover.

I later removed the weights. I don’t think their are needed anymore.
I think the weights are only there so the stainless steel wires reel in nicely without the weight of the dinghy.
I keep the lines out when the dinghy is not on the davits, tied to the small cleats on the davits. It’s out of the sun most of the time, and one less round trip of the motors every day.
One less thing to bang on the gelcoat, the outboard, my skull and other things.

I didn’t need to change anything on the motor/gearbox. Make the line extra long, it doesn’t hurt.

Hope that helps

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Huahine, French Polynesia

On 21 May 2021, at 22:33, Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:

Dear Scott,

I also intend to change the wires to dyneema.
After checking the gearbox I can not see why it is not possible without this expensive Simpson „dyneema“ set.
What do you needed the 100 Euros for?
4mm Dyneema is not that expensive :-)
Did you use dyneema with a polyester cover or without protection?
Did you do any changings on the gearbox/ motor?

Best regards
Stefan
A54 #119 Lady Charlyette, currently Azores, Santa Maria