Re: Cook top dimensions

Jérémy Lajotte,

Thank you for detailed data ! I'll see how my small Onan will handle it :) I'm still waiting for my cells to be delivered, but I'm currently fitting the Quattro (I choose to mount it in the aft wardrobe of the passageway).

Jérémy
SM#121
Le 25/05/2021 à 13:38, Barry Connor via groups.io a écrit :

Hi Jeremy,

We have the Onan 11KW in the engine room, it does get hot in there.
The generator sends 220V to the Quattro. We can only take 8000W before the breaker kicks on. This is I am told something to do with the heat in the engine room. The Quattro only takes about 6000W to put  24V  170-180AMP charge to the batteries. I will check again but I think I have the Quattro set at max charging to batteries at 200AMP.
The Quattro does heat up and if don’t turn on my installed top  exhaust fan the charge from the Quattro to the batteries drops to 140AMP. The top exhaust is on before the 2 Quattro internal bottom cooling fans even kick in.
The 120AMP charge to the batteries from the 170AMP engine alternator is with engine running at about 1500 RPM.
Hope I have explained this correctly. I am not an electrician.

Very Best

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54.  #17
Sainte Anne anchorage Martinique

On May 25, 2021, at 05:48, Jérémy Lajotte, <jeremy@...> wrote:

Hi Barry,

I'm installing a Quattro 8000/200 too. I'm curious about the charging at 170A you mentioned, using the genset. Can't you reach the max 200A ? What genset do you have ?

I have a 6.5KW. Theoretically it should reach 225A at 28.8V. Including some lost, I though the 200A could be achieved with the genset... but I may be wrong. (well 170A is already a very good number ;) )

(Sorry for the off-topic).

Thanks,

Jérémy
SM#121
Le 24/05/2021 à 22:50, Barry Connor via groups.io a écrit :
Hi again Bill,

Attaching a few photos but will post more and explanation how it all was put together.
The 220V from the Victron now powers completely the 220V panel in the galley.
The generator and shore power go straight from the Amel installed switching devise through the Victron to only charge the batteries.
The 170amp engine 24V alternator is controlled through a Wakespeed direct to the batteries, I will send you photos of the engine room soon.

I can actually simultaneously charge the batteries from - Generator 170amp + Engine Alternator 120amp + Arch solar panels 20amp + Bimini solar panels 12amp. have actually put in over 300amp at one time.

Very Best

Barry

On May 24, 2021, at 15:26, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Barry,

Yes, I know about the GN Espace cookware and the chicken and the egg, but GN Espace really impresses me.

Please send me photos of your V 8000 install.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 2:10 PM Barry Connor via groups.io <connor_barry=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill,

I did notice at the time that Gn Espace sold cookware. Did not know this about cooking standards though. Thanks for the info.
Maybe. if the rep had offered new oven trays and baking dishes I would have gone further with him. Just Kidding.

I will try to post very soon our complete experience with the conversion. I actually fitted the Victron Quattro 8000, all is now working as should.

Very Best

Barry

On Monday, May 24, 2021, 2:42:49 PM EDT, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Thanks, Barry.

I will contact him. BTW, the oven and other dimensions on GN Espace are driven by standard dimensions of pans. As far as I know, no other manufacturer of stoves for boats does this.

"These systems have been designed around the Gastronorm standard sizes of containers used in commercial, professional, and catering kitchens. These standards form the building block of GN Espace's integrated systems. The GN Espace stoves and sinks have been designed to transform the galley space into an ergonomic, functional, and significantly safer place to prepare and cook food while at sea."

Gastronorm (GN), sometimes spelled Gastro-Norm, is a European standard for kitchenware tray and container sizes that is commonly seen worldwide in the catering and professional food industry, as well as in certain parts of the high-end consumer market.

So now you know where the "GN" comes from in their name. Big is not always better, but usually perfectly engineered is BEST.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 1:34 PM Barry Connor via groups.io <connor_barry=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill and All,

When we were looking at electric ovens with induction cooktops the only 2 basic choices were the Ocean Chef 3 from Gn Espace UK and the Horizon 3 from Marine Cookers "Techimpex.tv".
The retail price we found initially was about £4,000 for each from different Marine Suppliers in UK.
We actually spoke to the Techimpex representative in Italy and he gave us a special price of 1,850 euro without tax.

What the main advantage was between the 2 units was that the Horizon 3 had bigger inside width and we could still use the baking trays from our Eno 4 burner gas oven and all S/S pans still fitted on the cook top. The Ocean Chef oven was a smaller width inside and we would have had to buy smaller baking pans. The Horizon 3 as well as the Ocean Chef 3 overall oven is smaller than the old Eno but we have roasted 2 chickens with vegetables. It heats up much faster (200deg in 10min) and holds even temperature constant when set.

We had a lot of back and forth between the 2 companies to get all the exact specifications and measurements. The Ocean Chef rep was disappointed when we pointed out his inside oven measurements were less than the Horizon 3 and that we would need to buy new baking pans. We didn't then try to negotiate any special price with him so I can't say that he would have matched the Horizon 3 price.

As we took all the LPGas out we also bought the Techimpex electric grill which fits perfectly inside our Kumma LPGas s/s frame.
Was fun fitting this, took a few tests to get it inside and are still doing the High Temp Silicone seal. Had to put in a cooling fan to keep the electric switches cool. See Photos. BBQ with lid off.

Bill, I think if you contacted the Techimpex representative "Frederico" that you could get a very good deal for the group. He was relentless in keeping in touch and answering email and queries immediately.

Very Best

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17
Sainte Anne anchorage Martnique

On Monday, May 24, 2021, 8:08:06 AM EDT, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Jeremy,

I negotiated an Amel Owners Yacht School discount for my clients. It is significant. Every one of my clients that have bought from Gn Espace seems to really like the product. I actually think that they are the best and since ENO was acquired, I am not sure that there is any other choice at any price that provides you with reasonable quality. Frankly, I am surprised that Amel has not moved to GN Espace. It is not only about electric/conductive solutions it is about quality and engineering. You should also check out how the stove and the containers that GN Espace have been engineered.

Posting it here may be viewed as an advertisement for Amel Owners Yacht School. Sometimes I find myself in this "slippery situation." But follow this link: https://preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/gn-espace.html

Let me know if you have any questions. I know the principles of GN Espace and can probably get you any information you need.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 6:49 AM Jérémy Lajotte, <jeremy@...> wrote:

Who would be interested in a group buy for the OceanChef3 ?

For owners who already installed it : how much was it ? GN website only mentions a price starting at ~£2000...

Thanks,

J��rémy
SM#121
Le 24/05/2021 à 00:45, Nicolas Klene via groups.io a écrit :
Perfect !
Thanks a lot Denise.
--
Nicolas Klene