Re: New Zealand

CARINA HAMMARLUND

Hi Robert,
I can warmly recommend Riverside Drive Marina in Whangerei!!! We stayed there 2018/2019 and it’s the best yard we’ve been to. It’s managed by two fantastic guys, Karl (his dad started the yard way back) and Moe. They have a team of very competent companies that can help you refit your Amel, and they did a very good job with ours.  Whangerei is a very good place to stay since the town is full of marine companies. At Riverside drive you’re not forced to use “the yards companies” to do work on your boat, which very common in other yards.
Many of the other yards in the area is also dependent on the tide to when the can haul your boat out/launch it but Riverside drive can do that any day of the month.
Another big plus is that it’s easy to find somewhere to stay during the refit if you don’t want to live aboard. We rented a little apartment on walking distance (4 minutes walk from the yard) while we stayed on the hard.
We have many friends that have returned to Riverside Drive over and over again for years while cruising up/down to Fiji. Beside doing a excellent job with the boats Karl & Moe helped to created a strong cruising community and staying there was like being part of a big family.
if we ever come sailing that way again we will definitely stay in Riverside Drive!
--
Carina
SV Ultimo