Re: Downwind sailing on Amel 54 and storm jibs

Arno Luijten

Hi Paul,

If I'm not mistaken Amel sold the double foresail as a tradewind sailing solution. Meaning you have days in a row of just downwind sailing. In this case the effort of setting up the whole system makes sense.
For "normal" downwind sailing the gennaker is most applicable, even if that means the occasional jibe to stay off the straight downwind course (also helps with rolling). For stronger winds the genua comes into play but that means the whisker pole needs to come out (only one at that point) with all the wrestling associated with it. The point I noticed is that the genua, when made form Hydranet (standard sailcloth that Amel used) has problems with light winds as the cloth is very heavy.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121