Re: Fuel Bladders

David,

In our 10 years and 40,000 miles, we never needed the 190 extra liters and most of the miles we didn't have solar.

If we were to do it again, we would probably not carry extra fuel, but would have about 800 watts of solar.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021, 1:50 PM David Vogel <david.vogel@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Re: did you ever need the extra fuel you carried?

We have 10x Jerry Cans for shore-to-boat transfers and longer passages, as described by others, stored on-deck.  PLUS 3x 20ltr jerry cans with known clean fuel held inviolate in the port-side deck locker for fuel emergencies – the fuel rotated into the main tank and refilled with biocide & water treatment roughly every 12 months.

The deck jerries are used routinely to ferry fuel from shore, or to top up the main tank whilst underway or in remote localities – the deck fuel normally not more than 6-months old. A downside of using the deck-jerries so regularly, is that the lip-seals on some are starting to split, and so no longer fuel- (or water) proof.  (At least one lip-seal falling foul to the over-enthusiastic efforts of a friendly and very helpful service-station attendant in French Polynesia – my bad for not maintaining adequate oversight.)

As to the question have we ever really needed the extra fuel?  We necessarily tapped into the deck reserves twice.
Both during COVID times.

The first during lockdown, which occurred immediately after an unscheduled break in the supply ships delivering fuel stocks to the island – so refuelling was down to 20ltr per person per day, and I didn’t foresee the imminent need to keep everything topped up. And, then during lockdown, refuelling was not possible at all.  I was very pleased to have the extra fuel already on-board …

The second whilst anchored out for extended periods in the Tuamotus.  We could have decided to leave and head back to ‘civilisation’ earlier to refuel, but having the extra fuel on-board provided welcome flexibility and options to remain away from population centres while COVID was circuiting throughout the various communities.  Noting that medical facilities in the more remote areas comprise a nursing station (if you’re lucky), so an extra-precautionary approach to minimising exposure was appropriate for our circumstances.

I also enjoy the extra flexibility in passage planning and execution – if we wish, or need, to burn fuel to power through a calm, or to make that pass on the next tide, then generally useable fuel is not a key consideration.

Bearing in mind that we presently have only 400W of solar, so are more reliant on the genset that many other AMELs.  We are planning a solar upgrade, at which time we will downsize the auxiliary fuel capacity, and store 160ltr in the port-side deck locker as others have been doing (and will then be glad to return to the “clean decks” we once enjoyed).

David
Perigee, SM#396

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of rossirossix4 <rossidesigngroup@...>
Date: Wednesday, 7 April 2021 at 4:27 am
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Fuel Bladders

Hi Colin,
Last saw you as you were in your dinghy hanging onto our rail in Bequia to inform me of your decision to immediately move on through The Canal back to Austrailia.

Just curious--even though you transfer from the cans to the tank when you can--by your calculations, did you ever need the extra fuel you carried?

Bob, KAIMI SM429