Re: Solar installation and Link10 Battery Monitor

Ian,

Mark's advice is correct. I am going to go a bit further.

I had a marine electrician wire my MPPT and panels to the battery bank. He connected the negative terminal to a convenient bolt on the shunt in the photo below. This is the wrong place because it distorted the readings showing too much energy going into the battery bank. See the next photo below.
image.png

I suggest that you connect the cables to the battery switches and connect them on the Battery side of the positive switch and the negative switch. I also suggest that you consider using a positive and negative bus bar to take some of the wires off of this terminal. This photo is of a Typical Positive Switch on an Amel. The Negative switch will look about the same. I placed a green circle on the switch lug that needs to receive battery charging from the MPPT.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 2:32 PM Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:
Ian,

It's sounds like the DC negative cable from your solar charge controller is wired incorrectly and is bypassing the shunt.  Therefore, the shunt and the battery monitor are not "seeing" the amps going into the batteries from the solar panels.  Try moving the negative cable coming from the solar charge controller to the "inlet" side of the shunt so that the current from the charge controller is going through the shunt.  The shunt is located outside the battery compartment on the other side of the main DC negative stud that is inside the battery compartment.  Remove the mattress above the battery compartment and you will see a small hole where you can access  the shunt.

Mark

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021, 2:36 PM ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:
Hello all,

We have just escaped London for Greece and reunion with Pen Azen who has been fitted with two solar panels in our absence .
The solar monitor shows good volts and amps going in to the batteries but the Link 10 , whilst showing good volts ( 26-28 ) also shows that with only the fridge on ( we are ashore ) we are losing amps, now down to about 70%
What is curious is that when we use the 220v chargers with shore power the readings don’t change.

Can it be that in some way the addition of the solar interferes with the function of the Link10?

The panels are small , giving maybe 7.5 Amps . The wiring from the MPPT goes direct into the battery compartment to connect with the two main stubs

Any ideas ?

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen , SM 302, Kilada, Greece

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara