Re: SM winch motor brushes

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Mike. warning warning warning. The small amount of oil will multiply if you don't deal with the cause. When it multiplies the resulting shorting will do very nasty things to your motor. I had to replace mine. The gearbox is oil filled. You need to separate the motor from the gearbox and replace the lip seal. I did the job on both winches. Not difficult. I took the side plate off the gearbox that the seal is located in and pressed it out. Easier than trying to hook it out. An aside. I was astounded when I needed the new motor. Lewmar in Auckland New Zealand had the identical unit on the shelf.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 08 June 2021 at 07:16 "Mike Ondra via groups.io" <mdondra@...> wrote:

I couldn’t help myself.  Pulled the motor apart. Indeed there are four brushes. Here’s some pics for anyone who’s interested. Small amount of oil in the bottom of the motor housing that dripped out when the bottom bolt was extracted. Didn’t seem to be enough to impede anything electrical.

On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:58 PM, Mike Ondra via groups.io <mdondra@...> wrote:

<image0.jpeg>
<image1.jpeg>
<image2.jpeg>

It would appear that removing to service the motor/gearbox assembly for the winch may be challenging. I am reticent to disturb the bedding and other sealant damages that could occur with removal when I’m not certain that there is a problem in the first place.. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. It just doesn’t sound quite right.
There are some drops of oil on the bottom of the gearbox which are some concern. But no evidence of drips below the gearbox on the headliner. Does anyone know if there are brushes in this motor?
<image3.jpeg>

On Jun 2, 2021, at 3:23 PM, Mike Ondra via groups.io <mdondra@...> wrote:

Our starboard foresail winch has started to complain. After servicing the above deck hardware it sounded better but still a bit more growly than normal. Suspecting the motor brushes. Not having had experience servicing this motor, I am anticipating, as with other first time servicing projects, that it may not go smoothly. If indeed brush replacement is likely, I would like to have the brushes in hand while things are apart. We do have spare brushes for the furling motors. It would be nice if the winch motors utilized the same brushes. Can anyone confirm the specifics of the winch motor brushes?

Thanks,

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM240

Rock Hall, MD