Re: Play in Brunson H6 prop blade

Mohammad Shirloo

I have now removed all three blades. Two blades are missing the track for the roller bearing to seat in. The third one has it and the blade is in perfect shape. All of these parts  were in the kit that I supplied to them. They must have seen these tracks and did not know where they went and decided it was extra parts without even an inquiry. The strange part is that one of the blades was done correctly, so I fail to see how they missed the other two, unless they were done by different “mechanics”. I’m hoping to finish dismantling and cleaning today, re-assemble tomorrow. The diver is scheduled to come back Thursday AM to assist in the re-installation of the prop.

The plus side is that we have avoided a haul out and the whole process should take less than 2 days. This is something that can be done without an assist from a diver and I believe the whole process can be accomplished in a long day, in calm weather at anchor.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 5:31 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Play in Brunson H6 prop blade

Mohammed,

Great! And great advice!

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021, 5:48 AM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

I dove with assistance from a diver and had the prop removed in less than one hour. After removing the loose blade, found out that the tightening nut on the blade would rotate by hand and the left hand locking nut was not tightened against the blade nut and therefore allowed almost two full turns prior to locking. Water has gotten in between the hub and the blade and the bearing guide has almost rusted through.  I believe we have been sailing for two seasons with the prop in this condition and it was with pure luck that we found the condition before losing a blade and possibly doing a lot more damage in the process.

One more item to add to the annual check list. Dive and inspect all underwater items, as well as everything above deck. Time to rebuild again ourselves and hopefully do a better job than the “expert mechanics”. This issue keeps on being reinforced, do it yourself and at least you will either learn or make a mistake and know that you made a mistake. You will most likely not make the same mistake twice.

Thanks for all the responses.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Slavko Despotovic via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 12:16 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Play in Brunson H6 prop blade

Just in case you have not see it. This is video from SVDelos I found this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEtGRuJiD0--

Slavko

SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.