Re: Prop Settings for older SM with Volvo/MaxProp

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bill,

my experience was to ruin a perfectly good engine because the waste gate was stuck causing over pressuring at higher revs. Check for freedom of movement of the operating flap. You can do this by applying air pressure to the bellows by removing the outer end of the small air hose. This will check the bellows at the same time. Or remove the circlip holding the operating rod to the waste gate arm and check for free movement of the arm. You should be able to flick it back and forth with your finger tip. If that is OK I would not see how higher revs would cause any damage. However I would never run my engine constantly at peak revs. My diesel utility vehicle does 1500 rpm at 100 kmh, our legal speed limit

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 09 June 2021 at 10:56 Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:

Danny, I hear you, except… the turbo is new.  The exhaust elbow is new, and clean.  The boost pressure is spot on Volvo’s spec (I measured it) the waste gate opening is in spec.  When going upwind, the engine will NOT climb up into the turbo boost zone if the RPM is limited to 2800.  Yet it generates full power and speed if I allow the max RPM to climb to 3350.

What problems would you predict I’ll see by running at this prop setting?

Bill Kinney
SM160,  Harmonie
Great Guiana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas