Re: Seasickness cures and medication

Brent Cameron

I used to teach aerobatics myself and was never much affected no matter the motion. Same went for flight in IMC (clouds). Boats on the other hand can get me rarely. I’m not good with sitting there jigging on deep sea fishing fishing boats where I’m exposed to the diesel exhaust or on sailboats l when I lose sight of the horizon and the boat is yawing down waves (that motion has nothing to do with flying and i guess that I’m not used to it and it can do me in until about day 3-4 and then I’m fine.). It’s funny but I always seem to get it for about a day at the evening of day 2 if it’s going to happen to me on a passage. If I make it past that, I’m fine.

Anyway,  I’ve tried just about everything and I’ve found that:
  1) Gravol (Dimenhydrinate) - works only when I have so much that  I’m asleep.
  2) Bonine - if taken before I leave and regularly, it can stave off the effects unless it’s really bad out there.
  3) Elastic Sea sick Wrist Bands - I guess I’m too sceptical for them to work for me
  4) Electric Sea Sick Wrist Bands - Ditto and I’ve wound the voltage right up to the point they make me jump.
  5) Scopalomine - Doesn’t seem to stave off Day 2/3 effects for me but do note that you really need to wash your hands well after touching these as it will completely dilate your pupils and scare the hell out of your friends and family.   I wish it worked for me as it is the easiest of the lot (well except for those wrist band things) and has the least side effects.
 6) Sturgeron (Cinnarizine) - used by the  Royal Navy but it has significant potential side effects so is not sold in North America (but you can get it in the Caribbean and Mexico). This works perfectly for me but I only ever take it when I know it’s going to be rough and at day 2 and only until day 4. The problem with it is that it can bring on Parkinson’s if you are so inclined to get it.  Some estimates say that more than 15% of all Parkinson’s cases were associated with longer term use of this so I’m really careful with it (and have no family history of it). It doesn’t make me drowsy but it can I’m told.

Once you get sick, time will be the only cure IMHO. Bill’s suggestion works great during the day when you can see clouds or islands and the horizon but when you lose those, lie flat and near the centre of the boat to minimize motions.  It’s funny with me. I can take rolling and pitching all day long without so much as a twinge but throw in a few unexpected yaws (slipping turn from side to side without banking) and my tummy starts to turn.

After 3-4 days at sea, it always gets better for me and I lose any effect no matter the motion. Doesn’t help when you are suffering though as you just want to die and get it all over with. :-).

On my last passage, we found that if we lay down the moment we started to feel something and then popped up for quick tasks and then back down right away, we could stave off any effects without medication.

Those who never get sick have my admiration, those who always do, have my deepest sympathies.

Brent

On Jun 9, 2021, 5:10 PM -0400, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>, wrote:
The helm!

Tell crew members to tell you when they feel the least bit queasy, then put them in the helm seat and have them steer to something on the horizon, even if it is a cloud...of course, you'll have to adjust their focus when the cloud moves.

This works. Have you ever known a driver of a car to get car sick?

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 1:49 PM Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:
When doing aerobatic training in the RCAF, we could use Scopolamine patches.

Luckily, I never needed one even when surrounded by very sick people. I am lucky.

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

On 10/06/2021, at 6:08 AM, JOHN HAYES <johnhayes862@...> wrote:

 Scopaderm a patch that sticks to the skin behind the ear and available at pharmacies in NZ is excellent for crew afflicted by sea sickness . It’s not cheap at about NZ $25 for 2 patches. You wear both. Does not make users drowsy.  I don’t use myself but always keep some on board for use when someone on board is afflicted

John Hayes
Nga Waka SN 61
Wellington NZ

On 10/06/2021, at 4:55 AM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

I was asked by a crewmember to poll the group to find out what Amel owners used

and recommended for seasickness.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376