Lewmar ST 40 winches on an SM

Hello all,

Our under-used  ST40 winches ( the smaller ones in the cockpit ) have sprung an unhappy surprise ( I blame Covid, not the careful skipper who keeps them well greased and covered with little hats when ashore ).

The central spindles on both have seized. Even when stripped down and the cogs removed the spindles only eventually rotated after a bit of brute force with a large winch handle.

My question:  How do I lubricate the central spindle ?      I had hoped that it would pull out vertically, but it refuses.

Anyone had a similar problem ?      Does a well behaved spindle lift out, even with the cog attached to its foot ?

I will email Lewmar, but this forum usually has quicker and better solutions than most manufacturers.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Serifos, Greece