Re: Lewmar ST 40 winches on an SM

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Thanks, Nick,

Good to hear that you're afloat. We have had some great sails over the past 10 days--but heavy rain and gusts to 40k coming to Poros yesterday, thankfully on a reach and we now have very clean decks.

Ian & Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Poros

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...>
Sent: 15 June 2021 03:27
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Lewmar ST 40 winches on an SM

Hi Ian,
Failing success with penetrating oil you will have to unbolt the winch and tap the central spindle out from the bottom.
I had to do this one time, actually whole job took an hour, once I accepted defeat from above.
Nick
Back in the water, cleaning and polishing getting ship shape.
Amelia 
AML 54 -019
Leros

On 14 Jun 2021, at 15:20, ianjudyjenkins@... wrote:

Thanks, Arno,

Penetrating oil and brute force   now have the spindles turning. I'll keep up that application until  they are free.

Ian

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...>
Sent: 12 June 2021 19:30
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Lewmar ST 40 winches on an SM

Hi,

Yes the central spindle does pull out from the top. It can be stubborn at times but it should come out once you have removed the two or three inserts that sit at the top of the tower where the spindle sinks into.
You may need to use some penetrating oil to free them up a bit more.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.