Re: Bow thruster does not work in one direvtion

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Dimitri;

I think the comcept of operating the bow thruster with the charger on, makes sense to me. The charger simply helps to keep the voltage to the bow thruster as high as the boat is capable, so the current draw by the bow thruster is minimized, again as much as possible, with everything our boats have at their disposal. Since the power required to run the bow thruster is a function of Voltage (V) x Current (I), the higher the voltage, the lower the current requirement.

Higher currents create higher temperatures and therefore lead to shorter usage time of the bow thruster before the temperature sensor shuts off the bow thruster. It is also less stress on all other functioning parts that have to channel the current to the bow thruster motor, including the motor itself.

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo
+1-323-633-2222 Cell
+1-424-644-0908 Fax

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Dimitris Krasopoulos via groups.io <dkrasopoulos@...>
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 11:59:49 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bow thruster does not work in one direvtion

There are very different views if it is good to run the generator and battery charger when using the Bowthruster despite the recommendation of AMEL. Perhaps Bill Rouse or other experienced sailors have to comment on that. If the batteries are well charged by the alternator of the engine and they are not very old I need a second opinion on that issue.

Στάλθηκε από το iPhone of Dimitris Krasopoulos 

On Jun 16, 2021, at 12:24 PM, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Thank you Lior, good to know. We, in general, have the generator and 100A charger on, when expecting anything other than minimal bow thruster usage, or the battery charge level is low.

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo
+1-323-633-2222 Cell
+1-424-644-0908 Fax

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Lior Keydar via groups.io <lior246@...>
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 8:53:05 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bow thruster does not work in one direvtion

Hi Mohammad

I had the same problem two times. Every time, it was the solenoid on the bow thruster that did not work anymore.
If the batteries are weak and you use the bow thruster without starting the generator and charger, it can burn the solenoid. 
Every time it happened, the bow thruster worked only in one direction.

http://side-power.info/public/templates/list.php?file=../imgs/ftp_pub/MANUALS/Thrusters/SP%20Series%20(Discontinued)/IP/SP155TCi_IP.pdf&action=dl
page 19, part number 27

I hope it helps

Best
Lior A54 #18

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.