Making it easier to open companionway door

Jose Venegas

The weight of the companionway sliding door on our SM and the method of locking it single-handed had forced my Admiral to quit that job on Ipanema.  After evaluating various designs I opted for a simple solution of a track-guided counterweight connected to the door with a pulley.   Although the machinist in Martinique did a terrible job with the stainless steel finished surfaces the system works very well and the Admiral can now open and close the door without complaints.  The counterweight dimensions are 20x10x3 cm which is short of the weight to balance the weight of the door but allows it to slide open in a smooth controlled manner.  The track is 1 meter long and 1 cm wide and comes with a ball-bearing sliding mechanism.  ( https://www.amazon.com/LML12B-Linear-Bearing-Variety-Length/dp/B07GQKGG9S )

Jose Venegas
Ipanema SM278

Here are a few pix