Re: Bow thruster does not work in one direvtion

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Dimitris,

In 12 years I have never run the gen set when using the bow thruster. However I always use it in short bursts of two or three seconds. Occasionally in stress situations that might go out to 10. Seamanship comes in to it.

If you use it in long runs it becomes a different issue. Of course because bow thruster use is almost always when maneuvering for docking and in and out of marinas the main engine is going so its 24 volt alternator is running. Mine is only a 75amp and the motor is usually running at low revs so not at peak output. I have lead acid batteries for my house bank.

I would express an opinion that using the headsail furler under load, which I often do without the motor running, would draw more than the bow thruster. I have not measured that or calculated that though. However since that use would almost always when sailing in stronger winds ahead of the beam my Super Wind 350 generator would be pumping.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 16 June 2021 at 21:59 Dimitris Krasopoulos <dkrasopoulos@...> wrote:

There are very different views if it is good to run the generator and battery charger when using the Bowthruster despite the recommendation of AMEL. Perhaps Bill Rouse or other experienced sailors have to comment on that. If the batteries are well charged by the alternator of the engine and they are not very old I need a second opinion on that issue.

Στάλθηκε από το iPhone of Dimitris Krasopoulos

On Jun 16, 2021, at 12:24 PM, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Thank you Lior, good to know. We, in general, have the generator and 100A charger on, when expecting anything other than minimal bow thruster usage, or the battery charge level is low.

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo
+1-323-633-2222 Cell
+1-424-644-0908 Fax