Re: Motion Sickness

Trevor Lusty

I have studied every line posted on this subject intently. Thank you to every one who has contributed and as ever, sincere thanks to Bill and Eric for introducing such in depth and informed contributors. I have been a member of the group since 2008/9 and consider this thread the most impressive and in depth review that I have seen.
I sailed my boat Seafever of Cuan SM 425 from La Rochelle to Argentina 2007/08. The only thing that made this possible for me was Scopaderm patches. Unfortunately,  by the time I had reached Brazil, due to overuse, I  had developed contact dermatitis as a reaction to the oil that transmits the drug from the patches.
I was considering giving it all up. The boat was my home and my identity, but without Scopderm, I was beaten physically and mentally with sea sickness.
The definition of seasickness for me without patches was,  incapacity to eat, drink,walk, and  all loss of normal body function, leading to dehydration which at some point was going to lead to a very serious navigation or seamanship error.
In Southern Brazil, I had the good fortune to meet Dr Omar Sanchez, a keen diver and sailor  from Argentina, who kindly accompanied me from Uruguay to Buenos Aires and subsequently far beyond.
Dr Sanchez initially saw me at my worst, (not pretty) and after our trip together reflected on my Mal de mer.
He told me that I  was as an extreme case as he had ever seen. Interestingly, this also was previously mentioned when sailing in France by Michel Charpentier!  When I invited Dr Sanchez to accompany me from Buenos Aires back to the Caribbean he agreed on the following condition.
No alcohol, no pepper, very plain food, no over standing you watch, YOU MUST HAVE SLEEP. You will sleep on the floor ( the passageway between the salon and aft cabin). Drink 7 UP, eat apples, and or, any form of ginger between meals, keep drinking fluids. No reading. No prolonged periods at the chart table. All meals cooked and prepared before departure. Use the generator and microwave to heat the meals, serve them in bowls and eat in the cockpit. Bathroom needs facilitated with a bucket in the cockpit. YOU WILL KEEP WARM.
He prescribed the following ,one Stugeron (cinnariazine) and one Kwells (hyoscine) taken the night before departure, repeat at breakfast. Then one pill of each, taken alternatively every four hours, until the end of the trip.
We experienced some challenging ocean sailing together.
The effects of the medication are, dry mouth and sometimes a taste as if you have a bad cold. The sleepiness effect is negated by the nervousness and adrenaline  we all experience before setting out to sea.
Thirteen years, and tens of thousands of ocean miles later, I have felt badly off colour twice - I had forgotten to take my pill or pills.
I have NEVER been sick since and always been in full control of myself and my vessel and therefore less fearful.
Thanks to Doctor Sanchez and the sagacious elder members of this site for their advice and support on endless subjects, I have continued to sail with more general knowledge  and  a reduced level of fear, but never without the medication.
For the naysayers, please do not criticise  this remedy and warn of possible life debilitating diseases. I am sixty seven, I have been blessed and allowed to experience people, places and experiences previously undreamed off. All I can offer is, that this solution works for me and if it helps someone else, then in some small way, it will  repay my gratitude to  others who have helped me live and sail far beyond my dreams. For me, it has all be worth it, I understand how others  have different values, concerns, and responsibilities and just like the ocean I totally respect that.
 Chantier Amel respect de la mer.

Fair winds  and well rounded  seas to all.
Trevor Lusty
Ireland