Re: Storage Hatch gaskets

Pat,

Compression set and set memory were the biggest issues with the D profile gasket I bought to replace the original gasket, and the original had the same issue, except it didn't happen as quickly as the replacement.

My guess is the foam density was the issue, with the Amel OEM being denser.

Knowing what I know, and  based on my experience with the OEM and a US substitute, I believe I would go with the new gasket used on the Amel 50 and source it from Amel.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021, 8:41 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill, That gasket looks like it would really provide a good seal. My concern about the height of the gasket was concerning the gasket on the hinge side of a hatch. While closing the hatch it would seem that if the gasket was too high ,that the side of the gasket would first come into contact with the frame as you close it, dislodging the gasket as there is only a fraction of an inch space when closed ,between the hatch and frame. That is why I wanted confirmation that it is 1" in height before ordering it.
Enjoy your time on the 50 ,I am sure it is fun to sail and points well.
Pat
SM Shenanigans
Sassafras River, Md.