Re: VHF antennas

Nick Newington

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the info.
Scott, you are correct about antenna condition and quality.
I did notice that with the AIS connected to the mainmast antenna the range was better than the mizzen antenna, but both good.
My VHF works perfectly and has amazing range. Last year I talked to another Amel owner 60 miles away, clear as a bell.
Nick
Amelia
Amel54-019
Leipsoi Greece

On 18 Jun 2021, at 22:05, Doug Smith via groups.io <dugsmith98@...> wrote:

I’m curious about how to use the weather fax receiver.  Does anyone have experience with this device?

Thanks, Doug Smith

Amel 54-113, Aventura
White Point Marina, Kinsale VA USA
Dugsmith98@...

On Jun 18, 2021, at 2:54 PM, Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:

Nick,

I believe the stubbier antenna is for the fax receiver (furuno fax30):

Best,
Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Tahiti

On 17 Jun 2021, at 19:38, ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

I have now found the antenna cable end; it was connected to my ICOM SSB, I guess the DSC receiving, anyhow I have put it on my new AIS and all works.

There is one more stubby antenna on top the mizzen?
 Anyone know what that one is?
<image0.jpeg>

Nick
Amelia AML54-019 Leros

On 17 Jun 2021, at 22:48, NICK NEWINGTON <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

Hey Mark,
That would have been Jonathan.
We had a great passage to the Azores.
Yes it is a small world. I am nostalgic just thinking about all the  ocean  passages. Some easy and others not so, but  every one of them left me feeling fulfilled and perhaps thinking that the world is actually quite large, at least from the deck of a small boat.

Nick
SY Amelia
AML54-019
Leros

On 17 Jun 2021, at 19:23, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Nick,

On the Super Maramu there is a removable panel in the aft head on the upper, inboard side of the forward bulkhead that give us access to the cables coming down the Mizzen mast including the AIS Antenna, Radar, Weather Fax, and Cockpit Light.  I don't know if it is the same on the 54.

I think I met your mate Kevin(?)  a few weeks back at Herrington Harbor North Marina in Deale, Maryland USA.  It's about 20 miles south of Annapolis.  He says he helped you sail Amelia across the Atlantic.  What a small world we live in!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara