Re: Air con circulating pump

Nick,

If you cruise in the tropics, that will not be enough water flow.

From my Amel Book:
"The basic rule of thumb is 1 gallon per minute (GPM) is required for every 4,000 Btu’s of capacity. So, 9,000 * 3 = 27,000/4,000= 6.75gal/min * 3.785=25.55liters/min * 60 = 1,532 liters/hour OR, 6,75GPM * 60 = 405GPH.

The original 53 & 54 pump, the Climma BCM20 is rated at 1200+ gal/hr (GPH), which is three times what it should be rated at using the "rule of thumb." However, as you know, when all 3 A/Cs are running, the salon gets its required saltwater from the output of the aft AC, which has been heated because of heat transfer. And the
fore AC gets its required saltwater from the output of the aft AC and the salon AC, which has been heated because of heat transfer. I really do not know how to take all of that "pre-heated" water into account.

Veco (Climma) uses Calpeda pumps and brands them with the Climma brand. When they do this, they assign a Climma number. The Calpeda number is BCM20/E for the original AC saltwater pump. Calpeda no longer offers a BCM20/E, they currently offer a Calpeda BCM22/1/A-R and it is 50/60Hz. It moves 1,700GPH. And even better is the Gianneschi 01CB22G302 with a 95MM Impeller. It pumps 1841 GPH and is 230VAC 50/60htz."

The thing that ruins all required flow calculations is that the ACs on SMs and 54s are connected to the saltwater line in series.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 1:10 AM ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I bought a Dormaire magnetic aircon circulating pump rated 950gph to replace the old. Euro 264.
It pumps plenty of water to run all three units but is very small, about 10cm long by about 7cm wide and very light.  I suspect it will not last very long but we shall see.
It is also a DC motor so there is a 240v-24v power supply that comes with it.
It replaces the Calpeda monster that needed a screw driver on the shaft to get it going and it leaked. It’s bronze impeller has warn down, I think not from corrosion but from abrasion. On board was the kit to replace the shaft seal.
I plan to buy a new impeller and then swap back when the Dormaire dies.
For now it looks like the Dormaire is great; lighter, quieter,more efficient. No seals.

Nick
S/A Amelia
AML 54-019
Patmos