Re: Rigging and Terminals

Arno,

Agree completely including the preference for turnbuckles with Stainless with bronze inserts. ACMO offers these and ACMO is still my number one choice for a complete rigging kit because it is high quality and is always a perfect fit. Any other rigger will not have the manufacturer's most up-to-date specifications and will simply attempt to copy what you have. In the case of the Amel 54, the rigging specs changed 2 or 3 times during production. If a 54 is being re-rigged, the rigger making the rigging will use the same size wire which was originally installed, and that 54 will not have the benefit of the changed and upgraded specs.

Contact for ACMO:
Laetitia BOUDON <laetitia@...>
+(33) 3.81.35.70.86
www.acmo.fr

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 12:03 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Dyform is not better. It has for the same diameter more strength but is also more expensive. Dyform is a way to shape the individual strands into a shape that packs them more dense compared to classic rigging.
So in the end it is a bit of a trade off. Given the fact that the standard Amel rig uses normal wire, I struggle to see the advantage for dyform on an Amel. High performance boats like to use is so they can use thinner stays and shrouds. It is still cheaper then rod-rigging, let alone composite rigging.

I'm not sure if terminals can be such a big difference unless they are China-made. What can be a difference are the bottle screws. There are Stainless versions, Bronze one and Stainless with bronze inserts. Personally I like the last ones as you get a nice lasting shine and a reliable thread connection.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121