Re: VHF antennas

Porter McRoberts

Is there a solder that is marine rated and less likely to participate in the ever present electrolytic process?

Has anyone ever gold plated terminals or wire?  Would that help ( as gold is a highly noble metal) with corrosion in these important and hard-to-maintain locations?

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Jun 24, 2021, at 7:15 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Mark,

I bought 43 meters of RG-8X and that was enough on my A54 to run new cable from:

(1) The vhf antenna at the top of the main all the way to the VHF headunit (NOT just the coupler at the mastbase inside the boat)
(2) The ais antenna at the top of the mizzen down to just the coupler in the aft shower, at the mizzen mastbase.

I got mine from Davis RF in the US - cheapest I found for marine rated rg-8x. I can't imagine trying to squeeze thicker cable through the conduits, but I believe some others have tried and possibly even succeeded. The original A54 cable is much thinner RG-58, FYI.

Get real soldered PL-259 connectors and watch some youtube videos on how to do it. I rubber taped the connectors and then put 3M electrical tape over it. The PL-259 are not, by design, waterproof.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 8:50 PM Mark Barter <markbarter100@...> wrote:
If anybody has replaced their VHF cables could you tell me what lengths of cable were needed for the main and mizzen masts.

I am away from the boat at the moment but this is a job we need to do because our VHF reception is really poor. No doubt almost completely caused by me having to splice the cable after inadvertently cutting it!
--
Mark & Nicky Barter
S/V Nunky

--