Re: VHF antennas

Scott SV Tengah

That was my assessment when I ran the RG-8X with the mast up. We actually tried to feed some LMR-400 through after the fact and it was nearly impossible. I ran RG-8X all the way to the VHF to replace the super thin RG-58u that Amel put in originally. Getting the Rg-8x through the boat from the base of the mast to the VHF wasn't super easy either. Perhaps you can do it with LMR-400, but I wouldn't want to try and risk breaking things inside the little conduits inside the boat.

If I ever need to remove the mast, I will cut the rg-8x and add more splices and the connector. It's not difficult but no need to add those lossy connectors for now, IMO.

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 10:47 PM Mark Barter <markbarter100@...> wrote:
Hi Mark,

That is really helpful, thank you. It is difficult to see how even 6mm cable would be easily run given the setup at the bottom of the masts. On the basis of what you have said I will wait until the masts are down to replace the cables.  There are some other jobs that can be done at the same time.

Did you leave enough cable at the bottom of the masts to reach the nav station or did you put in a connector near the bases?

Thanks again.
--
Mark & Nicky Barter
S/V Nunky