Re: VHF antennas

Scott SV Tengah

Nick,

Just noticed this re: using the SSB DSC cable as your AIS receive.

The SSB DSC comes from the triatic between the mizzen and main. You can see it on the photo you posted. SSB DSC is around 2200hz I think, whereas AIS is around 162 MHZ, a subset of VHF.

It's your boat, but if I was in your position, I would spend the $50 and get a VHF antenna (not AIS) and mount it on the mizzen. An antenna tuned to VHF/AIS will almost certainly provide better AIS reception than your triatic.

Two additional benefits: (1) If you decide to get a transceiver later, it's plug and play. (2) If your main VHF antenna dies, you can easily use the mizzen VHF/AIS as a backup.

I'd also check the specs on that cable. If I recall correctly, the cable for the SSB DSC wasn't the same as the cable that Amel installed for my AIS antenna.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69