Short Tricolor to Mooring light

Mohammad Shirloo

A few days ago, when we tried to turn on the mooring light, noticed that the Tricolor light LED also came on and then the mooring light breaker tripped. This would also happen if the tricolor LED was turned on. So it appears we have a short between the two circuits. I disconnected the mooring at the base of the mast and the problem continued. Then I disconnected the tricolor wires at the base of the mast and I could turn on both breakers, without issue. So it appears that the short is somewhere between the base of the mast and the light itself. We have the combo light at the masthead.

Anyone run into this issue? Would appreciate any ideas as to the most likely source of the short.