Re: Inverter replacement

Arno Luijten

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 04:33 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS wrote:

Hi Nick et al. I agree with you. I was considering a move from my SM to a 54. I would never never consider one with the sort of complexity many 54 owners are installing. These are boats, not luxury condos. You don't take a condo to remote locations nor cross oceans in one. The condo will never experience the harsh marine environment attacking its electrical connections and electronic systems.

But then I am a sailor through and through, I guess there must be others out there too.

Regards

Danny

Hi Danny,

I’m not sure if I agree with you on this. The SM and A54 are very similar in complexity of the electrics when they left the Amel Yard.

There are plenty of SM owners that also add a lot of complexity to their boat.
I did not add complexity just for the fun of it. I did it because adding functionality or replacing broken functionality adds complexity most of the times. A good example where this is not true is when you change form NMEA0183 to NEMA2000. This actually makes things more easy as you need less cable to connect stuff.
Adding Solar and/or Lithium will add complexity. Having more systems also brings in more need for supervising/monitoring equipment to spot upcoming problems.
My goal with our A54 is to keep systems as simple as possible but the reality is the A54 is a highly technical vessel with lots of toys.

My biggest beef with the electrics is that Amel changed several things during production (newer devices came to market) but never updated the user manual or the quite limited circuit-diagrams that are part of the documentation. So I had to reverse engineer several things to understand their workings.
Typically when I change things I make a circuit diagram of the new situation. That helps me as well if I need to look into a system later.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121