Re: #attackedbywhales #newboat WE SOLD THE BOAT! Now what??? Sailing Ocean F... #attackedbywhales #newboat

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi  Colin

I still love my SM.Ocean Pearl but if I suggested to Yvonne  a 50 she would say yes yes yes. But for me the systems on the SM, the ketch rig, the ease of sail control and the supreme sailing controlability in any conditions and the sea kindliness all combine to hold me.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 29 June 2021 at 19:48 Colin - ex SV Island Pearl <colin.d.streeter@...> wrote:

Ah-ha! That is a very interesting comment by Amel, and probably pretty well researched too amongst existing Amel owners too who no longer intend to circumnavigate.

We too have found ourselves drawn towards some of the awesome features of the Amel 50 for a potential next boat. After enjoying a wonderfully safe, comfortable, and easy circumnavigation in a SuperMaramu 2000 despite some really tough conditions, we now found ourselves thinking more of doing local sailing mainly in the future, plus potentially the Med and then the normal "milk run" easier North Atlantic to the Caribbean, and then Pacific and home to Australia route next time which could be great in the 50. 

If we were doing the Indian Ocean again, we would be straight back in an SM2000!

I do hope that Amel sees that video and does something about strengthening those rudders, and also considers the prop shaft support issue too. That said, we had a huge and fast whale come threateningly down on us like a torpedo from the rear just before rounding the north tip of Madagascar, and I think nothing but a very strong old steel boat could realistically deal with that! Fortunately, in our case, it was a false alarm and the whale dived down and headed out to our stbd side not hitting us.

Colin Streeter
Currently boatless and enjoying land touring home in Australia
ex Island Pearl II

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 2:32 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS < simms@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Yvonne and I visited Amel at La Rochelle when they were fitting out the first 50. It was in the water at the dock and we were given a walk through. I raised with them that it appeared to have moved from the all on ocean crossing circumnavigator build of previous Amels. I asked if their target market had shifted.

They told me that the target for the 50 was existing Amel owners who had done their major passages and wanted a new boat with all the great features of Amel but more suited for inshore sailing.

Who am I to argue with that. There are hundreds of us out there.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 29 June 2021 at 15:44 eric freedman < kimberlite@...> wrote:

Is that the New Amel 50?

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arno Luijten
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 5:11 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] #attackedbywhales #newboat WE SOLD THE BOAT! Now what??? Sailing Ocean F...

[Edited Message Follows]

For those not seeing the link:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=haVHkHks9v4&feature=share

————————
Hmm, balance rudders on an Amel, not sure about that…

It seems Amel changed the construction of the rudder(s) quite drastically. But they are not alone, Hallberg Rassy is doing the very same thing. The added beam at the stern of the boat makes this inevitable.
From my personal point of view. I think everything under the waterline must be as close to bomb proof as you can realistically make it. So these modern hull shapes with twin rudders are posing a devils dilemma in my opinion.
I found it also a bit uncomfortable looking at the size of the P-bracket that guides the propellor-shaft. I would have preferred a upside-down V-shape for that thing. This setup seems very fragile as well and begging for bent propellor-shafts

I’m aware that these wide bottoms do give you nice sail performance but I’m not so sure if this new design is not conflicting with the prime directive of what Amel stands for.

I guess time will tell…

Cheers,

Arno Luijten,
SV Luna,
A54-121

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.