Re: #attackedbywhales #newboat WE SOLD THE BOAT! Now what??? Sailing Ocean F... #attackedbywhales #newboat

Justin Maguire

Personally I find it amazing that a pair of killer whales attacked the rudders, destroyed them, and

a) the boat didn’t sink
b) the boat was able to still make its way to port
c) the hull and rudder post sleeve wasn’t damaged
d) Amel flew in new rudders and had them back in the water in short order

if those animals had attacked any Amel the rudders would have been destroyed..

Rudder vs. killer whale = destroyed rudder!

YMMV

On Jun 29, 2021, at 19:36, Paul Harries via groups.io <Pharries@...> wrote:

Surely one serious safety concern is enough to get a serious prospective  buyer really concerned.
Rudder failure rates of 1% are mentioned in ARC rallues, dont know if this is correct or not.
The 50 looks superb, however a mid ocean rudder failure for my wife and I would really spoil our day.
Amel clearly know their primary sales market, for sailing in the Med an A50 would in my book be perfect. Mid pacific or in Indian ocean.....

https://oceansailormagazine.com/whats-wrong-with-spade-rudders/
--
Paul Harries
Prospective Amel Buyer