Re: #attackedbywhales #newboat WE SOLD THE BOAT! Now what??? Sailing Ocean F... #attackedbywhales #newboat

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi all, while the twin rudders on the 50 may look more vulnerable I doubt if any rudder could resist an orca attack. It is notable that despite the impact on the rudders reportedly the hull suffered no damage where the rudder stocks pass through.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 30 June 2021 at 20:40 Steven Nieman <stefnieman@...> wrote:

Hi,
The attacks by the Orca’s around Portugal and around the bend into the Med is not a one time incident. The authorities think it’s a game by young macho Orca’s. There are around 10 incidents reported. Some say to stop the boat and just sit it out, others say to play music and 1 guy said it stopped when he started to sing to them😀😀
S.Nieman
Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Op 30 jun. 2021 om 08:31 heeft Dimitris Krasopoulos <dkrasopoulos@...> het volgende geschreven:

It is a pity that the new Amel is mentioned as a Med boat. The delivery from La Rochelle in the Atlantic Ocean to the Med is an ocean passage or a Mediterranee adventure? The whale attack close to Gilbrartar is a coincidence?

It seems to me that the focus to a reliable boat is distorted for marketing reasons. Bad sea conditions are everywhere even in the Med.

Στάλθηκε από το iPhone of Dimitris Krasopoulos

On Jun 30, 2021, at 6:23 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi, I would put hull form at the top. The modern flying wedges are fast and the voluminous stern cockpit fashionable and popular,but I suspect ( I am a sailor not a Naval architect) not as sea kindly, nor I suspect nearly as controllable running in big winds and seas. The SM bow holds up well, doesn't dig in causing slewing. The SM tracks incredibly well off the wind in big seas.. Likewise the ketch rig. Reducing sail is a dream as is increasing it.

.Not criticizing the 50 in any way. It was just built to a different design brief to a particular target market. As we have come to expect from Amel, they have done it well.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 30 June 2021 at 10:29 Justin Maguire <justin_maguire@...> wrote:

I’d love to know - beyond who they market to - what changes make these new boats less seaworthy world cruisers?

The only three specific features that are regularly brought up are:
- twin rudders without the protected prop
- the loss of the ketch rig.
- the more modern hull form that bashes more up wind (though is nicer downwind)

Build quality is as good or arguably better..

Ease of systems maintenance is as good or arguably better.

I’m genuinely curious to learn here

On Jun 29, 2021, at 17:39, Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:

Absolutely agree with all of that.
Judith and I visited Amel in La Rochelle in 2019 and went for a sail on the 50.
Judith fell in love with it's creature comforts and layout and now says we'll buy one when we win the lottery!
I have all the above misgivings about it as an ocean crosser, but then maybe those days are over and as a coastal short passage cruiser the 50 would be ideal.
Certainly Antoine Riotin said the same things to me  - the target market for Amel has changed; it is no longer the circumnavigator as it was in Henri Amels day.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437