Swivel or Shackle

Patrick McAneny

I wanted to change out my chain end for end and while trying to remove my swivel, I stripped the female hex head bolt that secures the pin. I assumed I would buy another swivel until I read in Practical Sailor magazine about the many failures from side loading,etc.,that there has been with swivels. They see no advantage over a simple shackle or two. So I was wondering if other owners just kept it simple and went with a shackle . I was thinking about going with the Mantus ,but I am concerned that if that single seizing wire should chafe ,the bolt could back out.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans