Re: Swivel or Shackle

Hi Pat ,

For what it’s worth , we have never used an anchor swivel but have two shackles in tandem between our 33kg Spade and the chain . In 21 years the anchor has always come home without a problem

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 Kilada , Greece ( sea temp 29c with weather warnings about the land temp. Not yet like NW. USA but getting there !)

On 2 Jul 2021, at 00:51, Michael Winand <mickwinand@...> wrote:

We have a sarca exel no7 straight shackle to the chain,  only had twisted chain once, when anchored in a tidal river.  Fixed it on a deep anchored place 18meters.
Double the seized wire, easy to verify it is not damaged.
Michael Nebo sm251

On Fri, 2 Jul 2021, 6:54 am Patrick McAneny via groups.io, <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I wanted to change out my chain end for end and while trying to remove my swivel, I stripped the female hex head bolt that secures the pin. I assumed I would buy another swivel until I read in Practical Sailor magazine about the many failures from side loading,etc.,that there has been with swivels. They see no advantage over a simple shackle or two. So I was wondering if other owners just kept it simple and went with a shackle . I was thinking about going with the Mantus ,but I am concerned that if that single seizing wire should chafe ,the bolt could back out.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans