Re: Swivel or Shackle

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Hi Pat,

Mantus swivel uses two stainless seizing wires in opposite directions which increases safety of one seizing failure.

Kind regards
Ross and Donna
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356
Currently in Northern Cyprus.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 11:54 pm, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:

I wanted to change out my chain end for end and while trying to remove my swivel, I stripped the female hex head bolt that secures the pin. I assumed I would buy another swivel until I read in Practical Sailor magazine about the many failures from side loading,etc.,that there has been with swivels. They see no advantage over a simple shackle or two. So I was wondering if other owners just kept it simple and went with a shackle . I was thinking about going with the Mantus ,but I am concerned that if that single seizing wire should chafe ,the bolt could back out.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans