Re: fuel additives & tank cleaning

Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer

Hi John,

my little contribution from my own experience to your (first) question. after 5 years in the Med in Greece, we have had no problems with our fuel so far. Even if the boat sleeps in the marina up to 8 months a year like now.
But we strictly follow our following rules:
- We always fill up with quality fuel from a regular gas station or have a tanker come from there. Never cheap stuff. always fresh and clean.
- If you do have to make the miserable trip with jerry cans, then always fill through a (Mr. Funnel) filter. can take time, but is safe.
- We always fill up to the top (900 liters) at the end of the season.
- we add proper Grotamar 82, the very first time the shock treatment: 1 liter to 1000 liters of fuel. Grotamar you get as a private person not so easy, but in every chandlery are still the bottles around or you ask in the workshop. The professionals may continue to use the stuff. Grotamar is the best, mil spec and for professional use.
- Alternatively, there is a new Special Diesel protection additive from Liqui Moly. You have to take the stuff against bacteria and fungi. There is also a similar one but tuned to protect the injection system. That is not asked here!
-We regularly check and change our Racor filters so we don't find dirt and water in the glass. That's all.

Of course, we do not know what all has accumulated at the bottom of the tank, but so far no clues. fingers crossed.
Hope this helps you with the routine use.

Fair finds and stay safe. Enjoy the med.
Best
Ulrich
S/Y „Soleil Bleu“, A54#088
Leros GR.
<>

Am 02.07.2021 um 11:13 schrieb John Clanton <clanton@...>:

I haven't seen much on this topic recently and wanted to see if anyone can provide experience, opinion, or speculation....

I have read too many articles that start with "The seas really picked up just as I was motoring into the harbor and all the sudden my engine stopped....."  These are always stories about fuel contamination in the tank that gets stirred up and clogs filters.  I work hard to never author an article like that.

I am selective about where I purchase fuel and have been adding ActiOil, which is distributed by Volvo.  I have dual Racors and inspect them frequently.  Whenever I leave the boat for the winter, I top it up before I leave.

When I returned to the boat a few weeks ago, I had the local Volvo dealer do the annual service, a requirement to keep the warranty valid, and he sent me photos of the Racor filter which showed a reasonable, but not egregious amount of junk.  This would have been junk accumulated in the summer of 2019 as the boat had not been run since then. I showed the photos to Amel Hyeres when I was there a week ago, and they said that is the filter doing its job.  Reasonable answer, but is it one that will keep me from writing one of those scary articles.

Three questions:

1. Can anyone provide a recommendation on a fuel additive for the water and bug problem.  I will be in the Med for the next few years as a reference on climate and market availability.

2. Has anyone ever had their tank opened up and cleaned?  I have heard of fuel polishers who come to the boat and circulate fuel through a big filter, but the local group wants to open up the tank, empty, clean, and inspect.

3. Have any 55 owners opened up their fuel tank?  I am not sure if the 55 has an access port on the top of the tank or not, and if so, I am not sure how to get to it it.

Thanks to the group for its collective wisdom.

John W. Clanton
S/V Devereux, A55 No. 65
Antibes, France