Re: Swivel or Shackle

Chuck_Kim_Joy

Hi Pat,
I had a mantus swivel as a replacement for my original amel swivel. I took it off because I could not see the link that attaches to the anchor. It was corroded as suspected. I use a shackle now without issue.

Best
Chuck and Kim Back in Martinique visiting Joy with help from TS Elsa.

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 4:54 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I wanted to change out my chain end for end and while trying to remove my swivel, I stripped the female hex head bolt that secures the pin. I assumed I would buy another swivel until I read in Practical Sailor magazine about the many failures from side loading,etc.,that there has been with swivels. They see no advantage over a simple shackle or two. So I was wondering if other owners just kept it simple and went with a shackle . I was thinking about going with the Mantus ,but I am concerned that if that single seizing wire should chafe ,the bolt could back out.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans