Re: fuel additives & tank cleaning

I believe that the Racor filter should be changed at 400 total hours (Main + Onan) or 9 months, whichever comes first. I followed this rule for almost 11 years without an issue.

To be safe, even though BeBe was 1.5 years old when we purchased her, I had the tank and fuel cleaned. I used Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment for diesel fuel each time we added fuel.

I always used the busiest fuel docks and always Baja-filtered a jerry jug of fuel and inspected the filter before filling the tank.
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 6:48 AM Geo Uhrich <lingeouhr@...> wrote:
Hello Amel Owners,

For my last two boats I have installed RCI Fuel Purification units in my boats. They are installed before the Racor filters and use centrifugal force to clean the fuel. Dirty fuel drops to the holding area in the bottom and is removed with a purging valve. I also use the optional alarm which alerts you that the holding area is full.

 In my current boat, I also added a bypass system with a pump so that I can purify my fuel on board.

I have never had a problem with dirty fuel and I highly recommend this system for trouble free motoring.

If anyone is interested in finding out more just email me back. I am not affiliated with this company in any way.  However, I will not own a boat without it.

Geo

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 2:32 PM Joerg Esdorn via groups.io <jhe1313=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

John, in my experience you will need to be flexible on what fuel additive to use.  The brands available in local shops vary wildly.  Having said that, I’ve seen the Starbrite additive in more places than other brands so I would get a good supply of that one.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem
on the way to Gibraltar