Re: Parasailor on A54

Scott SV Tengah

Joerg,

I can see the racer in you, getting greedy and putting up all those sails. We are lazy cruisers and happy to have just the parasailor up. :)

You confirmed what we've experienced multiple times - the sail will hold up in around 5-6 knots apparent. I am still amazed how that sail makes the motion sooo much better while going downwind.

One more tip - be careful with chafe at the pole end. With most of the load on the downguy to the bow, it should be ok, but when we first had JUST the windward sheet through the pole, the awkward angle resulted in the windward sheet chafing almost completely through at the pole end. Now with the downguy, we have no such issues, but keep an eye out just to be safe.

On the other side of the coin, we bought the ATN tacker and have a few questions:

(1) How do you keep it "up there" near the genoa clew as you are setting up the parasailor? Do you start it near the genoa tack and as you pull up the parasailor halyard, the ATN tacker just slides up?
(2) You had mentioned you came up with some system to reduce the load on the rolled up genoa. Can you elaborate on that a bit?

I think the ATN is perfect for <2 day use of the parasailor and the pole is great if you plan to have the sail up longer.

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 12:52 AM Joerg Esdorn via groups.io <jhe1313=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Scott, I finally had the opportunity to try your parasailor setup.  It works great!  The big difference vs using the tacker is that you can have the mainsail up even at 160-170 TWA without collapsing the Parasailor. That adds a few extra tens to the speed!

ive attached a video showing Kincsem in about 12 knots true running off the coast of Portugal.  TWA 160, BSP 7.5 knots.

Thanks again for this great tip!

joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Cadiz, Spain