Re: Shaftseal

Bill Kinney

When I was service manager for a fleet of fifty sailboats, they had a wide variety of different prop shaft seals.  My hands down favorite for mimimm maintenance, no water in the bilge, and minimal possibility of catastrophic failure, was always a standard stuffing box with "Dripless" TFE packing from Western Pacific.

Second choice was any of the lip seals.  A standard stuffing bow with flax packing was third.

The bottom of the list was any of the carbon face seals. Primarily because if they broke the boat flooded very quickly, and little--short of a travelift--could stop it.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswick, GA, USA